Presenter: Director of College Relations – PBA Head Coach Brian McMahon, 2x National Coach of the Year, 2012 National Champion, 20+ years of coaching both men’s and women’s college soccer, over 380 Collegiate wins, 2016 Palm Beach County Coach of the Year (all sports)
Seminar focus: NCAA I, II & III, NAIA, JUCO, USCAA, College Financial Aid, FAFSA Help, Student Loans, College Recruiting Agencies, Player Profile Sheets, What to say to a college coach, What to look for in a school, NCAA/NAIA Clearinghouse info, Eligibility Requirements, Try-Outs, and much more…
College Recruiting Seminar
- Brian McMahon – Palm Beach Atlantic University / PBG Director of College Relations
- Jennifer McMahon – Director of Financial Aid
- PBG Club Coaches
Objective of Seminar
- New Position – Responsibility of my new role
- Need for better understanding of the process
- Open Forum – Opportunity to ask questions
- Financial Aid Discussion
- Opportunity to utilize support as needed in the process
- So many divisions – which one fits best for me?
- NCAA I, II, III; NAIA; Junior College; USCAA
- “Full Rides and Scholarship Differences”
- What are some of the main differences?
- Level of play not always dependent on “Size of Division”
- Which ones provide financial aid?
Things to Consider
- What should I be looking for in a school?
- My personal experience of 72 schools
- Size of the school
- Location of the school
- Religious Affiliation?
- Academic Major
- Relationship to Coach/Team
- Feeling – Hard to define
Recruit Letters/Phone Calls/Texts
- Always changing, even I’m not sure
- NCAA/NAIA Rule books
- “Staple Letters” – “fishing”
- What is normal interest? Depends on the coach
- Profile Forms, Emailing Coaches, What to say?
- Recruiting Agencies – Junk Mail Usually
- Interview them as much as they interview you
- Don’t wait on them to find you
- Spend time with the team, ask questions
- Ask “citizens” what campus is like
- Try-outs are different for every school and coach
- Ask if you can play, or sit on the bench of a game
- Recruiting Video’s – Season Highlights?
- Various levels require various forms
- Press Release Questionnaires/AGIA/National Letter of Intent
Financial Aid – Jennifer McMahon, Director of Financial Aid
- What types of financial aid options are there
- FAFSA can help determine
- Athletic scholarships and “stacking”
- Various Loans, Grants, Pell Grants, etc…
- Resources available
- Are there really “full rides?”
- Other Coaches Opportunity to Share
- Open Forum of Question and Answer